Finished Size: approximately 72” x 82”
For the 2019 QuiltCon Charity Quilt Challenge, our guild has chosen a design depicting the night sky over the majestic purple mountains that shelter our region.
The MQG has defined the palette for this challenge as dark amethyst, violet, orchid, sea glass, honeydew, white, and eggshell. Details about specific Pantone and manufacturer shades are available on the QuiltCon web site. You are welcome to use solids, monochromatic, and tone-on-tone prints from your stash for the stars, as long as they are a near match to the palette. The exception is the darkest purple, which the guild is providing from a single bolt of Moda Bella Purple. Fat quarters of the background fabric, along with swatches of the other shades, were made available at the October meeting, and additional fabric can obtained by contacting Sarah Jay.
This year’s theme is small piecing, which the MQG defines as using pieces smaller than 1-inch. The stars in the quilt will be the perfect opportunity to display our small piecing skills, and show off the spring colors in the palette. We are asking each member to make two blocks, but more would definitely be appreciated. Finished blocks should measure 9.5-inches, with any number of smaller stars set inside them. We will need some blocks with multiple stars, and a few with just one or two. We will collect star blocks at our November and December meetings.
Stars can be made in a variety of styles, shapes, and sizes, as long as some of their pieces are less than 1-inch in width. Consider piecing small scraps or strips to form the center block of a larger star. Here are links to patterns and tutorials for small stars:
- Mini Friendship Star (1.5” finished) from Hope’s Quilt Design
- Mini Churn Dash (1.5” finished) from Hope’s Quilt Design
- Tiny Star FPP (3” finished) from Center Street Quilts
- Tiny Wonky Star Video (6” finished) from Missouri Star
- 5-point FPP Star Block (4” finished) from Threadbare Creations
- Tiny Wonky Stars with Interfacing (2” finished) from Mommy’s Naptime
- Sawtooth Star Block (multi-size) from Diary of a Quilter
- Wonky Star Tutorial (any size) from The Running Thimble
- Scrappy Wonky Star Video (any size) from Dinkydoo
- Rocky Road to Kansas FPP Block (6″ finished) from AQS
- Tennessee Star Block (6” finished) from AQS
- Shooting Star FPP Block from AQS
- Scrappy Sawtooth Star (2.75” finished) from Lots of Pink Here
The mountains will be improv pieced with a modified log cabin technique. If you would like to build a mountain or have narrow scraps in shades of purple, please contact Sarah Jay ([email protected]) for more specific instructions.
- Star Blocks: November/December Meeting
- Mountains: December Meeting
- Finished Quilt Top: January Meeting
- Finished Quilt: February Meeting